For nearly 50 years, VAM has been a national leader in providing unique educational opportunities that have resulted in the cultivation of several generations of esteemed performing artists. In keeping with this tradition, the Emerging Artist Grant provides financial support for outstanding VAM students who are working toward a career in music performance.
Up to $25,000 is awarded annually in support of special career development projects. Eligible projects include, but are not limited to:
- Participation in an international competition
(national competitions are ineligible)
- National or international concert tours
- International festivals
- Artist residency programs
- Special Mentorship opportunities
- Any project deemed eligible by VAM’s Executive Director
While students may inquire about projects not listed above, the Executive Director can only provide counsel on the project’s eligibility and not the application’s merit (declaration of eligibility does not guarantee funding approval). Any inquiries pertaining to a project’s eligibility must be addressed in writing before the application is submitted.
Eligibility and Assessment Criteria
In order to be eligible, applicants must:
- Be registered in good standing for VAM private lessons for the 2016/17 year and intend to return in 2017/18.
- Recipients selected in 2016/17 will be ineligible to apply in 2017/18 but will be eligible in subsequent years.
- Propose a project that will be completed on or before January 31, 2018.
Applicants will be assessed based on:
- The merit of their proposed project
- The scope of their proposed project in relation to available funding
- Proven high standard of conduct and musical achievement as demonstrated through recommendation letters
- History of engagement in activities at VAM
All applicants will be held to a high standard of merit; in the event that a suitable candidate is not identified, VAM reserves the right not to award a grant.
A complete application will include:
- A completed application form
- A written statement that includes a detailed description of the project and how an award will assist. Thoughts to consider include the importance of this specific project and what the project will enable you as an individual to offer to the larger community.
- Details of the project including relevant website URLs and profile of the organization or mentor
- A detailed schedule/timeline of the project
- A Curriculum Vitae that includes recent performances, professional training, and other relevant artistic activities
- Two letters of recommendation validating and supporting the applicant’s proposal, one of which must be from the student’s VAM private teacher
- A detailed budget outlining the expenses of the project
Application and Selection Timeline
Phase 1: written application due (February 15)
Phase 2: interview with assessment committee (completed by March 15)
Phase 3: applicant to provide the assessment committee with an official confirmation as to the current status of their special project (due April 15)
Phase 4: announcement of Emerging Artist Grant recipient(s) (May 15)
Obligations of Grant Recipients
Conditions of Payment
90% of designated funds for each grant recipient will become eligible to be paid out upon their selection as a successful candidate. The remaining 10% will be issued when the recipient has completed VAM private lesson registration for the 2017/18 academic year and has submitted their final report. The final 10% of the grant will be permanently withheld if these obligations are not met before the deadline as outlined below (see “Project Final Reports”).
VAM reserves the right to redistribute, delay or suspend payments if the project is not completed. If a project is dependent on funding from other sources, VAM may withhold funding until the status of these sources is confirmed.
Recognition of Assistance
In recognition of funding, VAM is to be acknowledged in all promotional materials, both print and online, including artist bios. Logo files will be provided to recipients and should be used on posters, brochures, print ads and programs and used where possible on media releases and signs related to the funded projects and its activities.
Project Final Reports
Recipients must submit a Project Final Report either upon registration for 2017/18 VAM private lessons (due September 1) or 30 days after the project’s completion, whichever happens later.
Confidentiality of Information
Applicants’ personal information will be shared in confidence with members of the selection committee. The names and project details of successful award recipients may be published in VAM materials.
Questions about the Emerging Artist Grant can be directed to:
Ruth Enns, College Registrar