Who is eligible: Chamber groups consisting of VAM private students
Application deadline: March 27
Competition dates: April 27
The Vancouver Academy of Music Elsje de Ridder Armstrong Chamber Music Competition is designed to identify young talented students and afford them recognition and financial assistance. Students will be adjudicated by one distinguished musician external to VAM, with $2,750 total scholarship awards available for 2019/20 VAM tuition.
Application Deadline: March 27, 2019, 11:59pm
Competition: April 27, 7:00pm at Koerner Recital Hall
Selection of finalists will be made based on audition videos submitted electronically at the time of application. Videos may be of any quality (recordings made using a mobile device are permitted) but must be filmed in a single take.
Audition videos are to be uploaded to a file-sharing platform of the applicants’ choosing (e.g., Google Drive or Dropbox) and shared by sending a link by email to
Chamber groups advancing to the final round will be notified by April 10.
Eligible chamber groups are those consisting of 3-8 members. Each student must have been registered at Vancouver Academy of Music since the beginning of the academic year.
Categories are determined by the average age of the group members:
Junior: up to 15
Senior: 16 and older
1. Applications are subject to a fee of $10 per student made payable to the Vancouver Academy of Music.
2. Chamber groups will be required to prepare one work for a maximum of 10 minutes. Ensembles selected to perform in the finals must perform the same repertoire selection as their audition video.
3. The full score be submitted to the adjudicator (photocopies permitted).
4. The competition will be open to the public. No video or audio recording permitted.
5. The adjudicator retains the right to withhold any prize if, in their opinion, it is not merited. All decisions made by the adjudicator are final and without appeal.