Who is eligible: Chamber groups consisting of VAM private students
Application deadline: April 6
Competition dates: April 26
The Vancouver Academy of Music Elsje de Ridder Armstrong Chamber Music Competition is designed to identify young talented students and afford them recognition and financial assistance. Students will be adjudicated by one distinguished musician external to VAM, with $2,750 total scholarship awards available for 2020/21 VAM tuition.
April 6, 2020, 11:59pm
Competition: April 26, 2:00pm at
Koerner Recital Hall
Selection of finalists will be made based on the basis of one of the following:
1) Audition video, or;
2) Recommendation by VAM faculty coach who has delivered three or more hours of coaching to the group in the current academic year.
Audition videos are to be uploaded to a file-sharing platform of the applicants’ choosing (e.g., Google Drive or Dropbox) and shared by sending a link by email to
Eligible chamber groups are those consisting of 3-8 members. Each student must have been registered at Vancouver Academy of Music since the beginning of the academic year.
Categories are determined by the average age of the group members:
Junior: up to 13
Senior: 14 and older
1) Applications are subject to a fee of $10 per student made payable to the Vancouver Academy of Music.
2) Chamber groups will be required to prepare one work for a maximum of 10 minutes. Ensembles selected to perform in the finals must perform the same repertoire selection as their audition video.
3) The full score must be submitted to the adjudicator (photocopies permitted).
4) The competition will be open to the public. No video or audio recording permitted.
5) The adjudicator retains the right to withhold any prize if, in their opinion, it is not merited. All decisions made by the adjudicator are final and without appeal.
Online Application Form
This competition is open to registered VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply online.