Who is eligible: VAM students age 14 and over as of May 19, 2017
Application deadline: April 19
Competition dates: May 19 (preliminary) and May 27 (final)
- The Kay Meek grand prize recipient will have an opportunity to appear as soloist with VAMSO for the February 2017 Orpheum Series. There are also five runner-up tuition scholarships available.
Rules and Regulations
1. A student must be registered at the Vancouver Academy of Music from the beginning of the 2016/2017 academic year in order to be eligible.
2. Applicant must be registered for VAM private lessons in the instrument with which they choose to compete.
3. VAM students concurrently enrolled in private lessons at another institution are not eligible to enter the competition.
4. The competition is only open to students continuing their studies in 2017/2018 at VAM.
5. Students must be 14 years of age or older as of May 19th, 2017 and be at an advanced level of musical study (minimum of RCM Grade 10 or equivalent).
6. Applications are to be submitted online at vam.ca or to Cecilia Ng, the Administrator Director on or before Wednesday, April 19th, 2017.
7. Six finalists will be selected by the Preliminary Audition Committee, consisting of two respected members of the musical community.
8. Students are required to perform two contrasting selections with a maximum combined duration of twenty (20) minutes from memory for both the preliminary auditions and final round. One selection must be a concerto movement or a work for solo instrument/voice and orchestra.
9. Preliminary auditions will be held on May 19th in Koerner Recital Hall and are closed to the public with the exception of the student’s parents/guardians. No video or audio recording permitted.
10. Preliminary audition results and adjudication comments will be emailed to the applicants and their teachers following the auditions.
11. The finalists selected will perform at the Kay Meek Competition Finals on Saturday, May 27th at 7:00pm in Koerner Recital Hall. The final round is open to the public and will be adjudicated by a distinguished musician from outside of VAM.
12. Scholarship awards will be applied to VAM tuition for the 2017/2018 academic year.
13. Previous winners of the Kay Meek Scholarship may not participate in this competition.
Applications for the Kay Meek Competition are open to VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply.