Who is eligible: VAM students age 14 and over as of May 31, 2019
Application deadline: August 4
Competition dates: September 2 (rescheduled from May 2020)
The Vancouver Academy of Music Kay Meek Competition is designed to identify young talented students and afford them recognition and financial assistance. Six students will be awarded scholarships, with the First Prize winner appearing as soloist in VAM Symphony Orchestra’s 2020/21 season.
Application Deadline: August 4, 2020, 11:59pm
Competition: September 2, 2020
Students will receive notice of their specific time slot following the application deadline.
The competition will be judged by a panel of three distinguished musicians external to VAM.
Instrumentalists: a complete work (all movements) for solo instrument and orchestra, with cuts made to shorten tutti passages. Works must be a minimum of RCM 10 or equivalent.
Singers: a selection of songs from an orchestrated song cycle, a multi-movement work, concert arias, a selection of opera arias, or repertoire approved by Voice Department Head. Maximum two selections for movements or arias from different works.
a) are 14 years of age or older as of May 31, 2020;
b) are enrolled in VAM private lessons;
c) have not previously received the grand prize of the Kay Meek Competition;
d) will continue VAM private lessons in 2020/21.
1) Applications are subject to a fee of $20 made payable to the Vancouver Academy of Music.
2) The grand prize winner will be required to perform the same repertoire selection with VAM Symphony Orchestra that was chosen for the competition.
3) Three copies of the solo part or piano reduction must be submitted to the adjudicators (photocopies permitted). Full scores will not be accepted.
4) The competition is open to the public.
5) If the grand prize winner competed playing an orchestral instrument, they will be required to enroll in VAM Symphony Orchestra for the 2020/21 season.
Applications for the Kay Meek Competition are open to VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply.