Who is eligible: VAM students age 14 and over as of May 31, 2019
Application deadline: April 31
Competition dates: May 31
- One grand prize winner will receive a $1,500 scholarship for 2019/20 VAM tuition and perform as soloist with VAM Symphony Orchestra at the Orpheum Theatre.
- Five runners-up will receive $1,000 scholarships for 2019/20 VAM tuition.
The Vancouver Academy of Music Kay Meek Competition is designed to identify young talented students and afford them recognition and financial assistance.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2019, 11:59pm
Competition: May 31, 2019
Students will receive notice of their specific time slot following the application deadline.
The competition will be judged by a panel of three distinguished musicians external to VAM.
(a) are 14 years of age or older as of May 31, 2019;
(b) have been enrolled in VAM private lessons since the beginning of the academic year for the instrument with which they compete;
(c) have not previously received the grand prize of the Kay Meek Competition;
(d) will continue VAM private lessons in 2019/20.
1. Applications are subject to a fee of $20 made payable to the Vancouver Academy of Music.
2. Students will be required to prepare a complete work (all movements) for solo instrument/voice and orchestra, with cuts made to shorten tutti passages. Works must be a minimum level of RCM 10 or equivalent. Singers may prepare up to two arias or similar shorter works.
3. The grand prize winner will be required to perform the same repertoire selection with VAM Symphony Orchestra that was chosen for the competition.
4. Three copies of the solo part or piano reduction must be submitted to the adjudicators (photocopies permitted). Full scores will not be accepted.
5. The competition is open to the public.
6. If the grand prize winner competed using an orchestral instrument, they will be required to enroll in VAM Symphony Orchestra for the 2019/20 season.
Applications for the Kay Meek Competition are open to VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply.