Who is eligible: Registered members of VAMJS
Application deadline: October 23
Competition dates: November 16
VAM presents its fourth annual VAM Junior Symphony Concerto Competition providing an opportunity for up to three soloists to perform a movement of a concerto with VAMJS during the 2018/19 season.*
VAM will ensure that the competition is impartially and professionally conducted with a two-person adjudication panel consisting of experienced musicians with no affiliation with the competing musicians.
*concert date to be assigned by conductor
(a) are currently members in good standing of VAM Junior Symphony;
(b) are not winners of the VAMJS 2017/18 Concerto Competition.
Application Deadline: October 23, 2018, 11:59pm
Competition: November 16, 2018
Students will receive notice of their specific time slot following the application deadline.
1. Students must perform on the instrument they currently play in VAMJS.
2. The selection must be approved by VAMJS conductor Joseph Elworthy and meet length, orchestration and proficiency requirements. Repertoire approval will be confirmed within 3 business days of the application deadline.
3. Students must provide 2 copies of the solo part or piano reduction for the adjudication committee (photocopies are permitted).
4. Performers must perform from memory.
5. Performers must perform with and provide their own accompanist.
6. The competition phase is closed to the public with the exception of the parent/guardian and teacher of the student performing; no video or audio recording permitted.
7. Repertoire selections must not exceed 15 minutes in duration. For the competition, tutti passages must be shortened.
8. All applications must include a $20 application fee.
The VAMIS Concerto Competition is open to VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply.