Who is eligible: Registered members of VAMJS
Application deadline: September 26
Competition dates: October 17
To apply: Apply online or download an application form.
VAM presents its seventh annual VAM Junior Symphony Concerto Competition providing an opportunity for up to three soloists to perform a movement of a concerto with the VAM Junior Symphony.*
VAM will ensure that the competition is impartially and professionally conducted with a two-person adjudication panel consisting of experienced musicians with no affiliation with the competing musicians.
*performance date to be assigned by conductor
-are currently members in good standing of VAM Junior Symphony;
-are not winners of the VAMJS 2021/22 Concerto Competition.
Application Deadline: September 26, 2022, 11:59pm
Competition: October 17, 2022
Students will receive notice of their specific time slot following the application deadline.
1. Students must perform on the instrument they currently play in VAMJS.
2. The selection must be approved by VAMJS conductor Joseph Elworthy and meet length, orchestration and proficiency requirements. Repertoire approval will be confirmed within 3 business days of the application deadline.
3. Students must provide 2 copies of the solo part or piano reduction for the adjudication committee (photocopies are permitted).
4. Performers must perform from memory.
5. Performers must perform with and provide their own pianist.
6. The competition phase is closed to the public with the exception of the parent/guardian and teacher of the student performing; no video or audio recording permitted.
7. Repertoire selections must not exceed 15 minutes in duration. For the competition, tutti passages must be shortened.
8. All applications must include a $60 application fee, which includes recording of the competition round.
9. 1 winner awarded the Orpheum Prize performs at the Orpheum Theatre; 2 winners awarded the VAM Prize will perform at VAM.
10. By applying to the competition, the student and parent/guardian agree that any resulting recordings may be used for VAM’s promotional purposes.
The VAMJS Concerto Competition is open to VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply.