Who is eligible: Registered members of VAMIS
Application deadline: October 5
Competition dates: October 19
VAM presents its sixth annual VAM Intermediate Symphony Concerto Competition providing an opportunity for up to three soloists to record a movement of a concerto with VAMIS during the 2020/21 season.*
VAM will ensure that the competition is impartially and professionally conducted with a two-person adjudication panel consisting of experienced musicians with no affiliation with the competing musicians.
*recording date to be assigned by conductor
-are currently members in good standing of VAM Intermediate Symphony;
-are not winners of the VAMIS 2019/20 Concerto Competition.
Application Deadline: October 5, 2020, 11:59pm
Competition: October 19, 2020
Students will receive notice of their specific time slot following the application deadline.
1. Students must perform on the instrument they currently play in VAMIS.
2. The selection must be approved by VAMIS conductor Joseph Elworthy and meet length, orchestration and proficiency requirements. Repertoire approval will be confirmed within 3 business days of the application deadline.
3. Students must provide 2 copies of the solo part or piano reduction for the adjudication committee (photocopies are permitted).
4. Performers must perform from memory.
5. Performers must perform with and provide their own pianist.
6. The competition phase is closed to the public with the exception of the parent/guardian and teacher of the student performing; no video or audio recording permitted.
7. Repertoire selections must not exceed 15 minutes in duration. For the competition, tutti passages must be shortened.
8. All applications must include a $20 application fee.
9. By applying to the competition, the student and parent/guardian agree that any resulting recordings may be used for VAM’s promotional purposes.
The VAMIS Concerto Competition is open to VAM students only. Please log in to your account to apply.